For the Universal Exhibition of 1889, a date that marked the centenary of the French Revolution, the Journal Officiel launched a major competition to “study the possibility of erecting an iron tower on the Champ-de-Mars. The tower would have a square base, 125 metres on each side and 300 meters high.” The project proposal by entrepreneur Gustave Eiffel, engineers Maurice Koechlin and Emile Nouguier and architect Stephen Sauvestre was chosen out of a total of 107…
Here are some essential figures among the most frequently asked ones:
- Construction started early 1887, ended March 1889.
- How high is the Eiffel Tower? 312 meters (initial height, now 324 meters with antennas)
- Number of steps to the top: just 1,665!
- Total weight is 10,100 tons
- Number of rivets used: 2,500,000
- 7,000,000 visitors each years
You will find on this website answers to most of your questions about this fascinating Paris monument. Enjoy your visit!
Credit: Lars Tinner